Friday, October 24, 2003

People sometimes ask if I'm a baseball fan. "Why do you ask?" I always answer as I pistol whip them into a semi-comatose state. "Are you with the CIA?!?!"

Still, I suppose it is a legitimate question in light of all the recent attention on the world series. And the short answer would have to be "No." The game, as it stands now, is just too boring. Plant land mines in the outfield and equip the dugouts with machine guns, and that should liven things up.

Still, I must confess that I did caught up in the Chicago Cubs hoopla during the last couple of weeks. For deep psychological reasons that I really can't explain, I tend to identify with the underdog in any conflict.

And I suppose that's also why I so despise the New York Yankees. I have always hated big superpowers that go around beating up on helpless smaller countries.... Er, I mean, baseball teams. So for that reason, and that reason alone, I'm rooting for the Marlins in tonight's game 5.