Friday, September 17, 2004

It gives me great joy whenever I see despotism and oppression spreading to another country like a beacon of darkness in the light of day.... Or whatever the hell I just said.

Quite frankly, Vladimer Putin had me worried for a while. He was genuinely toying with democracy and freedom for a while. That's a dangerous combination, and it can easily cost a national leader his job. His announcement that he is suspending the free election of local governors is certainly a step in the right direction, and shows that he's finally coming to his senses.

Of course, President Bush immediately had to step in with some comic relief, and he was absolutely hilarious!! In case you missed it, Bush said that Putin "must uphold the principles of democracy."

Um, excuse me, and please forgive me if I'm wrong on this point, but doesn't one of those so-called "principles of democracy" say that the guy with the MOST votes wins?

So then why isn't Al Gore President?