Thursday, November 24, 2005

One of the big debates in the United States right now--or at least what I hear is one the big debates, because I'm Saddam and I'm writing this blog from an undisclosed location in or near Baghdad, which means there is no truth to the rumor that it is actually being written by a 17 year old varsity cheerleader in Poughkeepsie, New York--is whether an immediate withdrawal from Iraq would be disastrous. Let me be the first to say that no, it would not be. Please leave. Now. I'll even warm up the plane for you. Good-bye. It's been real and it's been fun, but too bad it hasn't been real fun. Adios. Hasta la vista, baby, and don't be back any time soon.

On the other hand, I'll be the first to admit that my opinion might be just a wee bit biased in the matter.

So let's instead turn to William Odom. He is a retired infidel General, and he has written an interesting piece on why it is in the best interests of the United States to leave NOW. But what makes his take on the matter interesting is that he has actually taken the Bush Administration's reasons as to why an immediate withdrawal would be bad, and turned them into arguments for leaving ASAP.

Odom goes on to say that "the invasion of Iraq may well turn out to be the greatest strategic disaster in American history."

I agree, and I'm humbled to be part of it.