Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Did you happen to catch Bush's press conference last week? Here we are, three years after the invasion of Iraq, and he's still managing to come up with new reasons to justify the attack!

Longtime White House correspondent Helen Thomas, who has been questioning American leaders since Abraham Lincoln, asked Bush if he regretted his decision to go to war.

Of course, Bush said no. He then went on to justify the invasion by saying that part of his job after the September 11 attacks was to "make sure that we didn't allow people to provide safe haven to an enemy. And that's why I went into Iraq. ... The Taliban provided safe haven for Al-Qaida."

Uh, excuse me? The Taliban was over in freakin' Afghanistan!!! That's TWO countries away from Iraq!!! Will someone PLEASE give this man a map, for crying out loud!!!

Even worse, the President then went on to tell what can only be described as a bald-faced lie: He said that another reason he invaded was because I was barring the United Nations weapons inspectors from doing their jobs.

What a load of crap.

In fact I did allow the inspectors in. Yes, I only did so under severe threat of military action, but the fact is that U.N. teams under Hans Blix were on the ground in Iraq conducting inspections. And yes, they were being allowed to go wherever they wanted. I wasn't necessarily happy about it, but the fact remains that I did finally allow it. You may also recall that it was the United States itself that finally told the inspectors to leave Iraq a three days before the launch of hostilities. An appeal by Hans Blix to allow more time for them to conduct inspections was rejected by the Americans.

And they ask me why I drink....