Tuesday, August 31, 2004

You've probably heard by now that the Bush campaign created something of a controversy when it referred to the Olympics in its advertising. It uses a clip of the President telling an audience, "At this Olympics there will be two more free nations--and two fewer terrorist regimes." The problem, however, is that the Olympics and politics is forbidden. Not to mention that crap about me cavorting with known terrorists! I thought that had been discredited by now, but apparently not.

But the best part about this story is the Iraqi puppet soccer team's reaction. One player, a Salih Sadir, said that "Iraq as a team does not want Mr. Bush to use us for the presidential campaign. He can find another way to advertise himself."

But the best quote came from player Ahmed Manajid: "I want to defend my home. If a stranger invades America and the people resist, does that mean they are terrorists? ... Everyone [in Falluja] has been labeled a terrorist. These are all lies. Falluja people are some of the best people in Iraq."

As much as I appreciate their comments, I am also somewhat suspicious of them. These men probably see the handwriting on the wall--assuming there are still any walls left that haven't been blown up by car bombs--and realize that I will soon be issued an apology and full pardon, at which point I will return to power. And when that happens, I'll be checking my list to see who's been naughty and who's been nice.

Yes, in a way I suppose that is kind of like what Santa does. But I'm betting jolly ol' Saint Nick doesn't go around publicly executing dissident elves.