Monday, February 07, 2005

Sometimes I am amazed by the kind of scams people come up with. And no, I'm not referring to my oil for food deal.

I'm referring to some of the internet based scams that are out there. The best known of those are the ones those stupid Nigerians send out. You know the ones: "Hi, I'm Moumbuttu Ugambawamba, and I am trying to smuggle $17 million out of my country. Can you help me? Just send me your checking account information." Needless to say, I started to get a little suspicious after we fell for that one a few dozen times.

In fact, you know all those billions of dollars I and my sons supposedly looted from Iraq's national treasury? Well.... We, uh, didn't.

That's right. Those damn Nigerians got it all. Every last dinar. Stupid Uday gave them our account numbers, and the next thing we knew, POOF!! The whole damn country was broke.

I bring this up only because now there's a new version of the scam floating around, and this one involves American soldiers trying to smuggle millions of dollars out of Iraq. The only problem is that it's not true.

I'm not sure who's behind this new con job, but I don't think it's the Nigerians. The grammar in the email is much too good for them. But I do have a theory: It's Bush! That's right, Bush!

It's his latest attempt to fund Social Security.