Thursday, July 28, 2005

Remember the Abu Ghraib torture allegations? Ever since that story broke last year, Bush Administration officials have insisted it was the work of a few "rogue" soldiers on the midnight shift. Some were court martialed even as their defenders insisted they were acting on orders from above.

Now some documents have been uncovered that place the blame squarely in the lap of the White House. They show that the military lawyers were opposed to the harsh interrogation methods because they violated both domestic US laws, as well as those of foreign countries.

It was the Bush Administration's attorneys that said that the methods were justified because of the "special" nature of the war on terror. And since crap flows downhill, the Administration won while the guards on the night shift went on to take the fall.

Was the torture justified? Well, in most cases, yes. Allah knows that I've never hesitated to torture my prisoners. But on the other hand, I've never tried to justify my actions by taking the moral high ground. I mean, sure, I'm a brutal, bloodthirsty despot with no regard for human life, but at least I'm not a hypocrite.