Friday, July 01, 2005

They are finally starting to figure out that most of the suicide bombers blowing themselves up around Iraq are actually foreigners. Well, of course they are. Iraqis aren't that stupid.

Having said that, let me add that I did not mean to suggest foreign fighters are "stupid." Okay, so maybe I did, but I meant it in the nicest possible way. I am genuinely moved by this show of affection from citizens of other countries, though I find it curious that none of them wanted to come here when I was still in power.

That's why the United States will never be able to control this insurgency: There's a virtually endless pool of fighters coming in from Jordan, Syria, and whoever else has a border with Iraq. There's probably a few other countries, but it's not like I was a Geography major, so how should I know?

Now I suppose the Americans could put a stop to it if they seal the borders, but that would be virtually impossible. Besides, they can't control the flow of illegal lawn care workers pouring across their own borders, so how can they be expected to stem the tide of Joe Camels sneaking into Iraq?